How to Build a Rabid Following on Twitter

149 Comments

1. Laura
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 15:16:34

I don't know what you use to find people who have followed you on Twitter. The only thing I use is Twitter itself. I've long ago given up on following people back or keeping track of who follows me back. It is a morass of people in there. But, I really like Twitter.

2. Anne
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 02:45:30

This is so interesting, I am 71, why did'nt I find this before?, I just hope I can do this justice, thankyou so much, I will be looking forward to your newsletters, thankyou

3. Scott P. Dailey
    Aug 16, 2010 @ 21:11:13

I cannot take my eyes off of your videos. My social media marketing adolescents is comprised of an overwhelming amount of information as you know and these videos are a prime example of what I mean. I watch them and you're dispersing the lessons in such quick intervals that the planning alone must be a Herculean undertaking. I'm sure you're polished at it now, but wow, you're really packing in the milestones. How detailed are your scripts or are they shorthand and you wing it, allowing notes to guide the monologue? The packaging is every bit as good as the message. This is just plain impressive. I'm a fan. Thank you.

4. Jason
    Aug 16, 2010 @ 14:37:26

Excellent video blog. Like others have said I rarely make it through video posts but this was was quite informative and helpful. Thanks!

5. The Three-Step Guide to Getting More Traffic by Writing Less
    Aug 13, 2010 @ 21:39:59

[...] Build a following on twitter to help promote your posts, and then strategically make a post go viral (Here’s a free tutorial on how to do that, too). [...]

6. Gig Logo
    Aug 13, 2010 @ 17:17:10

Wonderful video! I am glad there are others out there who know the value of guest blogging (aka guest posting) and are willing to share their knowledge with others.

7. Ashley
    Aug 13, 2010 @ 16:08:08

GREAT video!! I had never heard of search.twitter.com, but I will definitely be checking it out. Can't wait to get some guest posts out there!

8. Leopoldo "Leo" García
    Aug 11, 2010 @ 22:27:36

Great advice, I know I wil follow this site.

What are your thoughts about blogging in multiple languages. I am writing my blog in spanish and english hoping to reach a larger audience. In fact, I feel that this could help as one can do a multicultural blog reaching the needs of a lot of people.

I'll keep you posted on how your strategy works with the second and third most spoken languages in the world.

Keep them coming and hasta luego

Leo

9. Carl Coddington
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 17:55:01

Hey, I just re-tweeted this to my list 🙂 It was a great video..

Just curious, is that your voice?

10. Karl Staib - Work Happy Now
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 10:19:30

Another great job. I like how you explain the importance of building friendships through Twitter. Too many times I stop before I create a fan. This Twitter technique is a great way to open up to finding new friends that already enjoy my style of writing. It's so easy to stay connected with cool people on Twitter. I'll try this technique with my next guest post. Thanks Jon!

11. David FitzGerald
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 08:25:19

Is there any merit in creating a twiter presence when ther isn't any evidence of market presence using the medium?
    Being an early adopter is flattering but surely the social media process requires a certain degree of momentum to be feasible? Twittering to onself would seem somewhat useless.
    Enjoying the series Jon , hope I can apply it.

David

12. Suzanne Cummings
    Aug 08, 2010 @ 18:39:16

Great and simple insight. It was very helpful. Twitter has been a baffling experience for me, now I get how it works if you use it effectively as a tool.

Thanks for the third time today!

13. Michelle @ Stress Relief for Caregivers
    Aug 08, 2010 @ 17:43:18

Thanks for sharing this information. I'm just wondering how you actually find these popular blogs.

In the market I serve I find when I do a Google search for caregivers resources, I don't find much in the form of blogs.

Michelle

14. Michael Klein
    Aug 08, 2010 @ 16:27:15

I love your avalanche metaphor. I think trying to build a an avalanche should be the goal of all marketing.

As marketers we must realize the goal is to no longer build content for our audience. Rather, the goal is to create content for 'their' audience.

I just wrote a post on building a marketing avalanche on my blog if you are interested.

Thanks again Jon,
    Mike

15. Michele
    Aug 08, 2010 @ 12:32:58

Brilliant! Really Jon...great technique. I've just recently started getting my hands wet with guest posting and hadn't thought of doing this.

What a powerful way of leveraging your content to the fullest.

Another idea: after following them, post a tweet out to them so as their followers see you are interacting with them and be more inclined to follow you as well...make sense?

Thanks again!

16. Justine Musk
    Aug 08, 2010 @ 00:47:32

I am sooooo going to follow you on Twitter.

You've inspired me to not only get serious about guest blogging

(which, until now, I've regarded in the same way as eating vegetables or doing yoga: I know it's good for me, but...)

and also to learn how to do these cool little video presentations.

Thank you for sharing your voodoo. You are definitely one of the cool kids.

17. Justin P Lambert
    Aug 07, 2010 @ 23:26:31

Jon,

Once again, a simple but powerful strategy I didn't know about: searching Twitter for the post title, then following the folks who tweet about it. I'm curious if you've found any negative reaction from the "purists" on Twitter who might think that's stalkerish?
    Not that I'd be offended if you followed me, (@justinplambert, nudge nudge)of course.
    Thanks,

Justin

18. Thomas Retterbush ebooks
    Aug 07, 2010 @ 23:20:03

Even though I am already a Twitter Geek with multiple accounts totaling well over 50,000 followers, I still learned a couple of things from your How to Build a Rabid Following on Twitter video.

19. Jerry Pollio/Senior Partner
    Aug 07, 2010 @ 11:23:04

I am learning, thank you!

20. Pat Bloomfield
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 18:48:11

Great series Jon.

As blogging is a means to generate traffic to see the services I offer, getting 1,000 subscribers may not be the key issue(?) for me. But this strategy for generating a buzz around new blog posts sounds fantastic for getting really targeted traffic to the desired landing page. Now that rocks! 🙂

Thank you for sharing.

21. Farnoosh
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 14:31:41

Guest blogging is at the core of this it seems. And funny enough, I enjoyed writing my guest posts immensely whether they were for smaller blogs than mine or much larger ones who were so kind to indulge me. The question then Jon becomes how to make time for keeping up our own blogging schedule and the guest posts (not mentioning the million other things) but I tend to prioritize my commitment to my current readers with a Tue/Fri publish. Do you think it's over-kill to never ever miss a post? I also never write an article ABOUT the guest post and count that as a post (if this were college, I'd call that cheating ;))!. Anyway, thanks for getting me thinking so much more about more guest posts!! Your voice rocks!

22. Daniel Decker
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 13:05:18

Love this series. Thank you so much for doing them and providing great content + the ability to give it legs. 🙂

@danieldecker

23. LoneWolf
    Aug 06, 2010 @ 07:21:45

I'd have to disagree with @Louis. While he is right about just getting numbers for the sake of numbers being a waste of time, the technique you've described here is focusing on people who are interested in something that you've already written.

While it's true that some of them may just be retweeting what someone else tweeted, many of their followers still look at what they recommend and are often targeted traffic.

This isn't the same technique as blindly following everyone on Twitter in hopes that they'll follow back. The key here is people that are already recommending your work and who have influence when they do so.

24. Lee
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 21:58:26

Jon: I had no idea that the search on Twitter was even around! I love the idea on searching for your blog post and then following the people who retweeted. Of course, that means that you have to get people to retweet first though!! And, find a great place to guest post on...which I am still working on!!

Lee

25. Bert Cave
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 18:40:28

Hey, Jon. You really have to work harder if you want that "This is BS" reaction you're looking for from us. You'll note you've moved me from blogspot to WordPress, already.
    Thanks much. Bert

26. Joan
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 17:21:09

Thank you for sharing this information with a start up business blogger like myself. I am looking forward to useing this approach for my niche market.
    Joan

27. The Three-Step Guide to Getting More Traffic by Writing Less | Internet Marketing Superstar
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 10:48:15

28. Jill Heijligers-Peloquin
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 09:41:09

I have enjoyed these vids and their content so much! Many thanks, Jon!

So, how does one standout in the many many requests to guest blog that are going to be received???
    jp
    lashfx.com

29. Nicole Fende
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 08:15:31

Jon,

You've done it again. I was skeptical that there would still be good content this far along in the series. The researching and following your Twitter (re)tweets was a huge AHA moment for me.

Up until now I thought Twitter was something tweens used to follow Justin Bieber. So I'm going to get cracking! @BizFinanceForum.

Thanks,

Nicole

30. John Sherry
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 08:10:54

We'd be a twit not to twitter after this Jon. Basic but brilliant doorways to so many people. What a great name for a post inspired by this, 'How to be a People Millionaire' In today's world it just shows how many others we can connect with in a touch of a button.

31. Joe Pelissier
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 07:25:24

This is very helpful. Thank you. I like the way you use video to communicate and teach.

I've been thinking about guest blogging, so now I have no excuse.

Joe

32. leon Noone
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 06:53:17

G'Day Jon,

All good stuff: my problem is attracting people in my target market. I'm really not interested in getting lots of names just to be able to say "I've got 5000 names who receive my blog.'

If these people aren't genuine prospects, I'm wasting my time.
    I have a very clear business focus and a specific target market.
    How do I reach them through my blog?

Regards

Leon

33. Michael Bigger
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 05:48:47

Awesome video. Thank you.

34. Jay Lauser
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 02:00:46

Wow, I never thought of guest blogging as a way to build a twitter following. I always thought it was the other way around.

Well, it was easy to see I was wrong.

Thanks for these videos! I am already putting them into practice. 🙂

35. Beyond The D-Pad
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 02:00:01

A great series thus far, I have learned a lot that I hope to implement with successful results. What a great resource, keep it up.

36. BlacBlouse
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 01:41:45

Thank you for posting this video!

37. John F Taylor
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 01:12:25

Jon, I never make it through the video posts and somehow you have managed to capture me with every single one. I am now working out how to find a guest post spot in my tiny little niche of the blogosphere. Thanks so much for sharing!

38. Janna @ Mommy's Piggy TALES - Record YOUR Youth
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 01:00:17

Every video is so good I have to watch even though it's almost 1am. Thank you.

39. Warner Carter
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 00:33:28

Jon

I really like the quality of your video production. would love to learn how you did them.

40. Kimberly Gill
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 23:39:25

Brilliant Jon, thank you. Short and sweet. On to guest posts and adding a Retweet button to my blog.

Best,
    Kimberly

41. Elsie
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 22:43:21

Very helpful and in an easy format...thanks!

42. Louis
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 22:43:19

I appreciate the effort and intentions of this video post, but nobody should follow this advice.

Gaining superficial traffic and a superficial amount of Twitter followers is useless in the long run.

Ignore what this video says, and just stick to writing good content, and the followers will grow naturally.

Bloggers should have the goal of gaining committed followers who are actually reading their content and benefiting from it.

43. Tony
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 22:26:06

Damn, autoplay.

44. Annabel Candy, Get In the Hot Spot
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 21:44:50

Ah, where were you when I started out 18 months ago! I bet you were there but I just didn't know you were the man:)I count myself very lucky that you're following me on Twitter and am happy to share my yummy readers with you:)Your work makes it very easy for me to recommend!

45. Davia
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 21:24:52

Hi Jon

Thank you so much for your wonderful posts. I have gained so much knowledge from them.

The world of tweet is very intimidating for a newbee like myself and I am almost to scared to go there.It seems to be on the surface incredibly time consuming and daunting however....

I have taken your advice re; guest posting, and have found it to be a pleasnt and rewarding experience so far. My first guest post JUST LEAP will be used next week.

Advice for those preparing to JUST LEAP is; be clear about your intended content and how it benefits the audience of the blog when you are making the request for a potential guest spot.It makes leaping much easier and better received.

Jon, you make a huge difference to those of us who are on the edge of their seat and those with very short fingernails. 🙂

46. carrie
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 21:21:49

This is interesting and I'm certain that guest blogging is helpful. I have had people retweet my regular posts that I write for my own blog (not guest blog), but that hasn't always led to new subscribers. My last influx of new subscribers was for my newsletter, and came from someone posting my blog on their Facebook page.

47. amanda burdge
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 20:58:19

Jon
    Your tutorials are very helpful. Due to the economy I had to downsize my company and unfortunately I no longer have an I.T person on hand to help me. I am not tech savvy AT ALL, but I do have a blog thats been up for almost two years. It has been lack luster because I really had no idea what to do with it, and was unaware of all the great blogs out there. I also had no idea that blogs were such serious business. I am still a bit overwhelmed as I tread through the uncharted territory known as the blogosphere, but I greatly appreciate your user friendly approach and making it stupid proof! Thanks,
    amanda

48. Seth Waite
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 20:07:36

Correct - Twitter can be a powerful medium for conversation and traffic.

Correct - Active twitterers are the bread and butter to rt's

Correct - Guest blogging is awesome!

Your video series is extremely useful and your next video I am sure will be a smash.

I've been promoting guest posts for so long... I'm glad you are championing this cause!

49. Michelle @ Following Your Joy
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 20:00:06

Hi Jon, I haven't ventured out into the world of Twitter too much, so this was a great example of how crazy (in a good way) things can get when you let Twitter work for you...especially through guest blogging. I checked search.twitter.com as you suggested and was surprised and delighted to see that someone else was talking about a post I published today! Pretty cool. Thanks for the invaluable information. 🙂

50. Bill Knox
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 19:58:57

Hi Jon, Great insight for a newbie to social media. I like seeing your advice in action. @BillKnox

51. Marsha Stopa
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 19:24:21

"A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single...tweet."

Spot-on again.

Thanks for the continuing education.
    I hope I can get credits! :-O)

52. Belinda Weaver
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 18:28:32

Hi Jon. I think the best thing about this video is your practical steps to increase your twitter network, rather than just tweeting and hoping people will catch on. It seems so obvious once you point it out!

I don't usually make enough time for video posts but yours are getting dedicated time as soon as they arrive. With a hot cuppa to boot. Thanks for sharing your success blueprint.

Belinda

53. Martin Malden
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 18:03:22

I've used the search function on Twitter as a kind of market research tool in the past (and very useful information it provided too), but I've not thought about using it to find references to my own tweets - so thanks!

First I need to write a guest post, though..!

The information you're putting out is priceless and the production is really raising the bar, so thanks for one and 'wow' for the other 🙂

Cheers,

Martin.

54. Hashim Warren
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 17:56:50

Jon I never thought about this benefit of guest blogging. Thanks for sharing your strategy.

55. Josh Gibbs
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 17:54:02

This is some of the best advice I have ever gotten on blogging. Thank You SOOOOO much. These videos are amazing and are exactly what I have been looking for, for a very long time. Thanks again, and good luck to ya!

56. Jae
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 17:43:59

Jon, Thanks for your work. While the "Remember to track back and follow up!" reminders in this post are true to the bone, they do presuppose the first step which - as Jill M. points out - is having a post (guest or not) that is re-tweeted. There's the rub!

57. Roberta
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 17:36:20

Another great simple, no b.s. piece of information. Thanks Jon. Everyday I learn how to harness the power of Twitter. As someone told me the other day though - do one thing well at a time and keep improving. I look forward to the next video.

58. Dave Sohnchen
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 17:11:17

Thanks for the great series of videos, Jon. I especially like the strategy regarding Twitter. I've never been a big fan of following a ton of random people, hoping they follow me back so maybe, just maybe they'll track back to my posts. Thanks for the simple tips.

59. Heather Allard
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 17:03:06

Another great one from the fab Jon Morrow! Thanks, Jon!

I recently wrote a post about finding out who's talking about you on Twitter - it might be a helpful supplement. 😀

Looking forward to the next one!

Thanks!
    Heather

60. Adam Porter
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 17:01:13

More fantastic stuff, Jon!

I hadn't thought of searching twitter to find my article titles, before. It never occurred to me that following the retweeters would bring that much benefit.

Many thanks!

61. Gianpaolo Pietri | Simply Optimal
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:56:01

Another great video. You really make it seem so easy, and at some level it is. It's easy to know what has to happen, what can happen, and exactly what the potential is. It's hard to actually make it happen.

The hardest thing is getting your foot in the door. Once you do that, the possibilities really start to open up as you clearly spell out in this wonderful series.

It's important to remember the fundamental nature of exponential growth. One or two followers today equals ten tomorrow, 100 next week, 1,000 next month, and 10,000 soon thereafter. Scalability takes time and patience.

Time and patience. Combine that with relentless drive, and you've got a killer combo. Of course, I still haven't scored that guest post, but I hope it'll happen soon. Thanks for this series.

62. Jill MacGregor
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:51:30

Jon,
    These are great videos--and give me lots to chew on BUT they all seem to revolve around getting a guest post on say...Copyblogger.
    Jon, I would like a guest post on copyblogger so that I can put everything into motion. 🙂
    But, really. I do.

63. Tiago
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:50:55

Hey Jon,

I think that you should put on the email title "[Guest Blogging]" or something like that. Just "Watch this(new video)" looks phish and I almost deleted the email without opening it.

Thanks for the great work!

64. Joe
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:44:56

Hey, thanks for the videos! Check out my Twitter at http://twitter.com/wordpress_gold
    I've been working on it for about a week now and it's really coming along!

65. Pete Carr
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:43:43

Hi Jon,
    Loving your videos.
    Really useful tips there on twitter.
    Twitter is something I need to learn more about.
    Keep the videos coming.
    Thanks
    Pete

66. Lawton Chiles
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 16:35:30

Joh, I know FULL well how much faith it takes to put your best content out there, and watch what happens. Thanks for taking this leap of faith with us, and I hope your are massively encouraged with all the comments and buzz.

Thanks for helping me fall in love with great storytelling
    again. It helps keep my writer's mind sharp.

-Lawton

P.S- Nice little community your're building here too!

67. El Edwards
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 15:45:15

Hey Jon 🙂
    This series of videos is great. Thank you for the time you put into them. They're very clear and concise.

What I'm taking home from today's video is the hint about checking the list of people who retweeted your guest post and following them soon after them doing so. I hadn't thought of that. It sounds like a great strategy.

Putting it into action today.
    Cheers,
    El

68. Anne Gaal
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 15:19:05

So, you're saying I should bite the bullet and get a Twitter account. Along with Guest Blogging. Adding it to my to-do list!

69. Bamboo Forest - Tick Tock Timer
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 14:20:55

Don't the vast majority of people disable that email notification feature?

70. Simon Wallace-Jones
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 13:06:23

Hi Jon,

Firstly, thank you for a great series of videos. I am aware of the power of guest blogging, but you are really raising some powerful points about it.

I'm interested in your proposition in this video. I work a lot with UK-based B2B businesses (legal firms, professional service companies etc.). They tend to have a local bias to their customer bases.

I can see how doing guest posts for these kinds of companies will increase their traffic and exposure, but from your experience does the same leverage hold true for the twitter approach you are proposing here?

71. Jonathan Lusk
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 13:00:11

Great content! So glad I invested the time to listen to your videos. I am developing my business/marketing plan and will be launching my blog in Sept. (after the kids get back in school. Guest blogging and using Twitter to promote my blog just moved up high on my social media strategies list. Thanks for putting it all together.

72. Kim Sullivan
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 12:48:11

Awesome, Jon. This info will help me get my blog off and running!

73. Katerina
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 12:23:28

Awesome videos! Thank you.
    Great tips, sounds so simple...but so crucial for success.

Looking forward to new videos!

74. Melissa Brumback
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 12:13:45

Great post! I usually don't make it all the way through video posts (much prefer reading) but this was done so well with the video graphics, and I was learning so much, that I couldn't help myself! Since my first guest post goes live on Friday, I'll give this a go!

75. Rick Radcliff
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 01:43:09

Good video. For some reason, guest blogging never occurred to me before. This whole series is very helpful.

Since I managed to come across this before it was even tweeted once, I gotta call it:

First!

• Bill Apablasa
      May 19, 2012 @ 21:20:27

I love when you do the math for us, Jon. You can't argue with math. Thanks for the inspirational push. I'm loving your Guest Blogging class.